Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ireland Revisited







It was our third trip back to the emerald isle. It had been sixteen years since we had been there last and much had changed. Ireland had gone from a poor economy to prosperity and back to the poor economy again. As we visited Dublin, I could see many of the properties with "For Let" signs on them. Much like our stagnant real estate market in the U.S. But I could also see many new homes that had been built during their prosperous years in many of the towns we visited. It had become much like our suburbia. Lost was some of the charm I saw years ago. What wasn't lost was the warmth of the people in Ireland. It will always reamain one of the friendliest places I know. I reunited with a pub singer in Dunmore, Ritchie Roberts. He came out to our hotel on our second trip to Ireland to entertain us when we couldn't make it to Farley's Tavern in Passage East. He still has a wonderful tenor voice and it was magical to hear him sing once again. I only managed to find one dedicated yarn shop in Killarney, wouldn't you know it, it was closed when we were there. Oh well, there may be a 4th visit someday.





No comments:

Post a Comment